This unique and popular publication presents the best accepted current practices in placing reinforcing bars in structures and pavement. It is written for apprentices, journeymen iron workers, and inspectors. A definitive resource for preparing provisions in project specifications. Eighteen heavily illustrated chapters cover topics including types of materials, handling of bars at the job site, general principles for bar placing, splicing, and tying, bar placement in footings, walls, columns, floors, roofs, pavement and transportation structures. Also includes a chapter on epoxy and other coated reinforcement.
Notable Updates and Revisions:
- Bar marking coverage was updated.
- Typical reinforcing bar bend shapes greatly expanded.
- Updates made to standard and stirrup/tie hooks data.
- Reinforcing bar fabrication tolerances updated.
- Hoisting equipment and hand signal illustrations updated.
- Expanded coverage on placing drawings and bar lists.
- Coverage of bar supports updated.
- Expanded field placing tolerances with addition of vertical bar placement.
- Greatly expanded coverage of recommended first/last bar placement.
- To emphasize the importance of field safety, the safety chapter was moved to Chapter 1.
- New bar size #20 added.
Table of Contents:
- Safety Precautions
- Concrete and Reinforced Concrete – Definitions
- Reinforced Concrete Building Construction
- Bridge Construction
- Reinforcing Steel – Purpose and Location in Concrete
- Fabricated Reinforcing Bars
- Unloading, Storing and Handling Reinforcing Bars at the Jobsite
- Placing Drawings and Bar Lists
- Bar Supports
- General Principles for Placing, Splicing and Tying Reinforcing Bars
- Placing Reinforcing Bars in Footings, Walls and Columns
- Placing Reinforcing Bars in Floors and Roofs
- Placing Reinforcing Bars in Post-Tensioned Floor Systems
- Transportation Structures
- Highway and Airport Pavements
- Inspection of Reinforcing Steel
- Coated Reinforcing Steel
- Appendix A: Metric Reinforcing Bars