FLORIDA SOLAR CONTRACTOR LICENSE FAQ
How do I become a Contractor in the State of Florida?
1. You must be at least 18 years old.
2. You must pass up to 3 Florida State Construction open book Examinations with a minimum score of 70%.
Business & Finance - 125 Questions (6 hours 45 mins)
Trade Knowledge - 85 Questions (5 hours 15 mins )
(Buy books here )
3. Submit one of the below applications and prove your experience based upon formal education, military experience, hands on experience.
(Contractor application and assistance here)
- Initial and Retake Examination Application (CILB 1)
- Certified Solar Contractor as an Individual – Active (CILB 5-O)
- Certified Solar Contractor as an Individual – Inactive (CILB 5-O)
- Certified Solar Contractor who is Qualifying a Business (CILB 6-O)
- Certified Solar Contractor Qualifying an Additional Business as a Business (CILB 7-O)
- Certified Solar Contractor Qualifying an Additional Business as an Individual (CILB 7-O)
- Certified Solar Contractor Qualifying an Additional Business with Existing License as a Business (CILB 9)
- Certified Solar Contractor Qualifying an Additional Business with Existing License as an Individual (CILB 9)
- Endorsement as Certified Solar Contractor (CILB 10)
- Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003)
4. You must show proof of a minimum FICO credit score of 660. However, if your FICO credit score is lower than 660, you will need to purchase a $20,000 financial responsibility surety bond or take an approved 14 hour Financial Responsibility Course and you can reduce the bond to $10,000.
Get a surety bond quote here.
5. You must provide proof of general liability and workers’ compensation insurance or a workers compensation exemption.
Get a General Liability Insurance quote here.
6. You must provide an electronic fingerprint through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
Question: How often are the exams offered and how can I schedule to take an exam?
7 days per week at any pearson vue location.
Go to pearsonvue.com to locate the testing centers near you.
click here to find a test center
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation has contracted with Professional Testing, Inc., to register candidates, develop, and score professional examinations for the Construction Industry Licensing Board. Individuals desiring to sit for construction trade knowledge, contract administration, project management, or business & finance examination parts are required to apply directly with Professional Testing, Inc.
For questions: 407.264.0562
To apply online: http://www.floridaexam.com
Completed applications and appropriate fees must be received by Professional Testing, Inc., no later than 30 days prior to the examination date.
All other construction examinations, including the business & finance examination part, are administered in computer-based testing format. After a candidate has been approved by Professional Testing, Inc., they may schedule to sit for their examination(s) by contacting the department’s examination vendor, Pearson VUE.
To locate a testing site near you or to register to sit for an examination, use the links below.
|Construction – Business and Finance||Construction – Trade Knowledge Exams|
To schedule by phone: 888.204.6230
Candidates taking a computer-based examination through Pearson VUE will be required to submit a valid email address, telephone number, and payment at the time the examination is scheduled. Candidates will be eligible to schedule an examination within 72 hours after the candidate’s examination application has been approved by Professional Testing, Inc.
Question: Where can I take the exams and how often are they offered?
At any Pearson Vue location www.PearsonVue.com 7 days per week.
Question: How do I sign up to take the exams?
Go to www.FloridaExam.com and follow the instructions. Once you have registered, you will receive an email in 7-10 days to contact pearson vue to schedule your exam(s)
Can I become a Contractor in the State of Florida if I have a criminal record?
-This is a tricky question however as of October of 2019, the Construction Industry Licensing Board has stated the following as criminal offenses used to deny a license to practice contracting:
-Lewd/lascivious act(s) against a child.
-Possession of dangerous drugs.
-Possession of firearm(s) by a felon.
-Additionally, as of August of 2020, the Construction Industry Licensing Board has stated that the crimes that will not deter you from becoming a licensed Contractor in the State of Florida are:
-Certain animal control issues.
-Boat registration offenses
-Single occurrence of burglary
-Openly carrying a weapon
-Damage to property
-Distribution of alcohol or cigarettes to a minor
-Minor car accident offenses
-Open container/public intoxication
-Possession of fake identification
-Possession of marijuana/drugs/paraphernalia
-Resisting an officer without violence
Where can I find what content will be on my exam(s) ?
Here is a link to show you what is on the Business & Finance Exam
Here is a link to show you what is on the Trade Knowledge Exam
How do I know what books and materials to bring with me to my examination(s)?
Here is a link to the DBPR and will list the required books and when they will change.
Visit here to buy for $1,499.99
Are there any financial or eligibility exemptions to becoming a Contractor in the State of Florida if I am a Veteran?
The short answer is yes. As a Veteran owned business (Rob Estell is a Combat Veteran from Desert Storm), The Exam Pros are happy to speak with you regarding this question. Contact The Exam Pros or visit Florida’s Department of Business & Professional Regulation website.
What is the cheapest way to sample your products?
Buy one of our practice exams to see what we have to offer. If you like this, we can give you a discount toward the courses or cram package.
What does your “Cram” consist of?
Our Cram materials vary and are guaranteed to get you up and ready to roll quickly and efficiently. Some (but not all) of what is included in a Cram are:
-Video instructions on the course(s).
-Information on how to register for the exam(s).
-The 6 segments of test-taking techniques videos (1 hour)
-A comprehensive list of the required reference books for your exam and when they update.
-3 practice exams with over 65 questions each, including an answer key with correct answer, page number, and solutions.
- Unlimited online course and access to a live instructor
-Discount codes for upgrades and additional services
What does your “Home Study” consist of?
THE FLORIDA CONTRACTOR ONLINE HOME STUDY COURSE INCLUDES:
- Unlimited lifetime access to online course
- Access to a live Instructor via Phone, Email, Facetime or Whatsapp
- How to take this course video
- How to register for the exam(s)
- How to operate the Pearson Vue computer based testing video - NEW
- The 6 segments of test-taking technique videos ( 1 hour)
- List of required reference books for your exam and when they update
- Highlight & tab locations for the required reference books
- Printable Practice Exams by book to allow you to focus on what you don't know
- Printable Final Exams with question, answer, page number, book & solution
- Short & specific videos about each particular topic - NEW
- More than 1,500 practice questions by chapter & book with correct answer, page number and solution.
- Is paying $299.99 worth it to you if you can guarantee that do not have to take the exam a second or third time?
What to expect from The Exam Pros Contractor Book Packages:
This package is good for all exam takers BEFORE July 1, 2021
Professionally Highlighted & Tabbed Contractor Manual example
-Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation